First Dental College in India to receive the research Grant from Public Health Foundation of India for research work
About Us
History of Genesis
Chairman’s Message
Joint Chairman’s Message
Director Principal's Message
Vision Aims & Objectives
How to Reach Us
City of Ferozepur
Holidays 2017
NAAC Accreditation Certificate
Home » About Us » City of Ferozepur
City of Ferozepur

Ferozepur is an ancient city on the banks of Sutlej River in Punjab, close to present day Indo-Pakistan border. The city was founded by sultan Firoz Shah Tughlaq (1309-88). The city holds a historic place in Indian history before and during the time of British Raj. Ferozepur Cantonment adjacent and south of the city is one of the largest and beautiful cantonments in India.
The city is also called as “Shaheedon ki dharti” (the land of martyrs) having memorials to the freedom fighters Bhagat Singh, Rajguru, Sukhdev and BK Dutt, who became great national martyrs. The retreat ceremony of lowering the Indian and Pakistani flags at the Hussainiwalla border is legendry, watched everyday by thousands and paying their tribute to the heroic soldiers.

The city at present is a major educational hub in Punjab state, especially in the field of modern science and technology.

Ferozepur has a Golf Course, 2 Swimming Pools, 2 Sports Stadiums.

 
Places of Tourist Attraction

Harike Bird Sanctuary
Harike Bird Sanctuary Harike Wetland also known as "Hari-ke-Pattan", with the Harike Lake in the deeper part of it, is the largest wetland in northern India in the Punjab state in India. The wetland and the lake were formed by constructing the Head works across the Sutlej river, in 1953. The rich biodiversity of the wetland which plays a vital role in maintaining the precious hydrological balance in the catchment with its vast concentration of migratory fauna of waterfowls including a number of globally threatened species.

Re-Treat Ceremony on Indo-Pak Border
Sun starts setting, the weird silence on the Hussainiwala border, 11 km away from Ferozepur, is ruptured by the clattering and thunderclap of heavy boots of the well-dressed in Kahki uniform, Indian BSF Jawans who equalize their counter part, the sound of Peshawari Chapples of salwar-kurta dressed Pakistani Rangers and both of them match their every movement, motion and step with each other, under the loud commands of their picket commanders for the 40-minute retreat ceremony done for the de-hoisting of the national flags of both countries with full honour and respect on every evening. The visit of any dignity, tourist, relative or a friend to this border district remained futile without paying their visit to joint check post at Hussianiwala, and those who visit here feel get a feeling of being present in the different world. The sound of patriot songs flying in the air, intensify the feeling of Patriotism among the audience and every action of these BSF heroes is applauded by the numberless claps by them, which also provide these nation- guards a feeling of honour. People from far away visit here to watch the robust BSF Jawans competing their counterpart to prove an edge over them

National Memorials of Bhagat Singh Rajguru and Sukhdev
The National Martyrs Memorial Hussainiwala, built in 1968, located just one km from the India-Pakistan border on the Indian side, depicts an irrepressible revolutionary spirit of the three National Martyrs, Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev.

Anglo Sikh War Memorial
The Barki Memorial was set up in 1969 in memory of those soldiers of the 7 Infantry Division who laid down their lives on the battlefield in 1965, and paved the way for the fall of Barki, a town situated at a distance of 15 miles south-east of Lahore.  It has a pillar in the centre, a Patton tank and a Barki milestone in the south and a water fountain in the north.

Saragarhi Park
The Saragarhi Memorial Gurdwara was built in the memory of those 21 Sikh soldiers of the 36 Sikh Regiment who sacrificed their lives while defending the Fort of Saragarhi in Waziristan on September 12, 1897, which was attacked by nearly 10,000 Pathans. The memorial (gurdwara) was declared open in 1904 by Sir Charles Revz, the then Lt-Governor of Punjab.

Army Park with the latest gym facility, bowling alley and a go-karting arena.
 
Important Offices in Ferozepur
  • Divisional Railway Head Quarter
  • District and Divisional Head Quarter
  • Oldest Army Cantonment
© 2012-16 Genesis Institute of Dental Sciences & Research Dental College & Hospital Ferozepur - Moga Road, Ferozepur, Punjab. All rights reserved.
Phone : +91-01632-235500, 9876010532 | Fax : 01632-279181 I Email : info@gidsr.com